I think some people have long, drawn out cover shoots. In fact, I know they do. I know authors bring in photographers, stylists, TEAMS of people on cover shoot day. I have been fascinated by their stories and drank them up as I wrote my book and got closer and closer to publishing. (Here are a few of my favorite stories: Brown Eggs and Jam Jars, Emily Henderson, Lauren Liess, Garden Betty). My cover story is a bit different.
|One of the "working" covers|
As book release date draws closer (March 22nd!! ), I thought I might give a peek into the creation of my book start to finish. You might remember how I started out on giant posterboards and then clipboards organized by chapter for the writing (the whole post is HERE) then transitioned into hardcore crafting, testing and photographing. A large portion of the book was shot indoors last winter (2014-2015), so I did a lot of work in our courtyard where the skylights give some natural light. The absolute best days were the snowy days when the extra white on the skylights made things pop!
Most of the white backgrounds you will see in the book were made on cheap IKEA LACK tabletops. You can find the tops for $1-2 in the as-is section of IKEA and they are sturdy and thick. A photo like the one above with a white bottom and back is done on a LACK table with a LACK tabletop sitting vertically on top of it:
|Yes, that is a chicken coop being built in the background :)|
Step 1: The publishers sent samples of the image style they thought would work best for the book,
namely including materials and finished products in an artful way shot from the top down.
Step 2: I grabbed some materials and finished products I had from the book and took a sample shot.
Step 3: I evaluated the lighting and placement of items and made adjustments over and over again. My publishers had sent me an idea of what they were going for with the text, so I knew the text was going to be in the upper right and lower left when looking at the cover vertically and I needed to leave those white spaces. (see above, the white space in upper left and lower right when oriented horizontally) The next few shots were moving things around to see how many more projects or ingredients I could get into the frame without A. losing the necessary white space and B. getting too cluttered.
I liked the lavender bits across from the lavender hearts, but lost the lower white space...like the clippers...
|Too little heart, but gained the earrings -- like those! Lost the clippers too....hmmm|
|Better, but I blew out the whites and you can't see the lotion bars in the middle...|