Gingerbread Orange and White Snow Soap
I know, I know. Snow?? Think of this as your reminder to:
A: Enjoy the LACK of snow while it is still nice out
B: Your first stocking stuffer ideas for 2014 :)
This is the perfect little soap to bridge that gap between the seasons somewhere between the falling orange leaves and the white and icy winter freezes. I ended up making a Gingerbread Orange stacked soap with a glycerin base dyed orange and epsom salt detail for the "snow". Let's start at the beginning, shall we?
Take your soap out of the package and cut it into chunks.
The links above are to the soaps on Amazon, but you can also find them at Michael's.
Microwave the soap in 30 second intervals. You will have half melted clumps like this:
Stir and heat for another 30 seconds.
Repeat until the soap is fully melted like this:
At this point, add in any fragrance, oils or colors. I added Gingerbread Orange oil.
Be VERY careful as you pour your soap into molds! (See that steam!)
For this particular soap, I made the soap in a "brick" mold, but you could also make
this soap in a small loaf pan. Non stick or silicone work best!
Instructions for Stacked Gingerbread Orange Snow Soap:
- Sprinkle Epsom salts into the bottom of the mold
- Melt white soap base
- Add Gingerbread Oil (around 20 drops for a full pack of soap)
- Pour into brick mold or loaf pan
- Allow white layer to harden
- Melt 1-2 blocks of glycerin
- Add orange food coloring (about 4-5 drops)
- Pour onto hardened white soap in mold
- Allow orange glycerin layer to harden
- Add a small amount of white soap in irregular lines
- Sprinkle Epsom salts onto the white top layer
- After the layer has cooled slightly, gently press the salts down into the soap to adhere
Once everything has fully hardened (at least an hour), gently release the soap from the mold and slice.
The Epsom salts give an "icy" appearance to the soap, but also dissolve somewhat giving a cool "mountainous" look to the edges of the soap.
Stay tuned for more soap ideas -- they make fun stocking stuffers and I have one that is just *perfect* for the kids coming up soon!