Advent Calendar with Activities, Crafts, Gifts, Baking, Books and MORE!
So this year, I adjusted our advent calendar a little to reflect OUR life and now it fits in pretty seamlessly. Here is how it works:
Our calendar is a WEEKLY calendar and as the Mommy and advent calendar chief, I get to CHOOSE which thing we do everyday! Basically, I write down all of the activities, crafts, baking and such below on little tags and have the boys put them into random little burlap bags on the garland. Having them stock the bags adds SOME element of surprise, but I still have a choice over which little tag we do that day. What that means is on a CRAZY day, I can choose to just make hot chocolate instead of whipping up a full fledged craft. .....AND I can breathe again. The advent calendar becomes a joy again instead of just another chore to complete each day.
Another addition to the calendar this year are Christmas Bible verses. There are six -- one for each day other than Sunday and each day throughout the month we read and try to memorize that verse. On Sundays, we go to church! Here are the verses we are using this year for a 7,5 and 3 year old:
- Matthew 2:10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy.
- Isaiah 9:6-7 For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given.
- Luke 2:2 And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger.
- Luke 2:10 And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy.
- Luke 2:14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth, peace among those with whom he is pleased.
- 2 Corinthians 9:15 Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
A couple notes on prepping: When I prepare for our Christmas activities, I begin by rounding up all of our "Stuff" in the Christmas boxes and breaking it down into little bits. I always shop the clearances at Target after Christmas and snag any fun little activities I can find for 90% off. Those work for 4-5 of the days for something quick and easy (like attaching window clings in their rooms). I also pick up some super cheap foamies from Consumer Crafts to round out more involved projects and activities. Some things naturally go hand in hand (Frosty the snowman book and the movie or making foam candy canes(below) then "planting" candy canes). Here are the activities, crafts, gifts, baking, books and decorating that we will do this year!